Happy 2019, friends! I hope the New Year is treating everyone well.
Like so many of you, I have decided that the New Year is the perfect time for me to set new fitness goals. The Mr. and I have discussed our goals and are committed to reaching them together. So far, we are crushing it!
In the last several years I have discovered that the key to eating healthy is meal planning and meal prep. Each week I sit down and make a grocery list for the recipes that I plan to make. I plan out breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. This keeps me from getting too hungry, which in turn keeps me from stopping at a fast food joint or snacking on junk food. Planning ahead is everything! If you already know what you are going to eat when you get hungry, you’ll make fewer poor decisions. Sooner or later it becomes second nature to reach for healthy options!
Breakfast is one of my favorite meals to meal prep. I am NOT a morning person, so having my breakfast ready to go keeps me from scrambling around looking for something to eat when I wake up. And there’s a reason why they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day- it fuels you and sets you up to make good food choices the rest of the day!
These sweet potato hashbrown veggie frittatas are the PERFECT way to start your morning. I love a good savory, sweet, spicy combo, and these fit the bill perfectly! They come together easily and store well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days (though I doubt they’ll last that long!)
Sweet Potato Hashbrown Veggie Frittatas
Serves 6 (serving size 2 muffins)
1 medium sweet potato, shredded
1/2 of a small red onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
1 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Wash and peel the sweet potato and shred. (I used the coarse shredding blade on my food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you could use a box cheese grater)
- Spray a muffin tin with olive oil or cooking spray.* (see note below)
- Use about 1/4 cup shredded sweet potatoes in each muffin cup and gently press to the bottom and sides, making a well.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- While the sweet potato hash browns are cooking, dice the onion and bell pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper until eggs are well combined.
- Once the 15 minutes have passed, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven.
- Add onions and peppers to each of the muffin cups and top evenly with shredded cheese.
- Pour equal amounts of the egg mixture into each of the muffin cups.
- Bake for an additional 18 minutes, or until eggs are just set.
- Enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*Be sure to spray your pan VERY WELL. These will stick to the pan if it is not well coated.