It was really only a matter of time before the truth came out. Though Brussels sprouts and Heirloom cherry tomatoes have a special place in my heart, there are two food groups that hold an equally special place. One of them happens to be… yep, you guessed it! Mexican!
There’s something so comforting about sitting down with a big bowl of chips and salsa in the center of a table full of people you love. Heck, even if you only halfway like the people you’re with, sharing food just invites conversation and laughter. Personally, I could eat Mexican food all. the. time. I wanted a little spice tonight, so I came up with this recipe that can easily stand in when you have a craving for fajitas or pollo loco.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that this will ever totally replace some good old fashioned Mexican food. But I am saying that it might keep you from calling in takeout on the reg, like I was once known to do. This dish is creamy and tastes like a total cheat meal, even though it isn’t.
The secret, my friends, is a combination of homemade taco seasoning, Greek yogurt, and reduced fat cream cheese paired with chicken and fresh veggies. For the record, I don’t believe in using seasoning packets. But if you do, you can use store bought taco seasoning as a substitute. You do you baby. I also don’t believe in calling Greek yogurt a substitute for sour cream. In fact, I am tearing up just thinking about uttering such terrible words. I did use it instead of sour cream here, but if you’d rather use the real deal, once again, have at it.
Serve this creamy, delicious goodness over some brown rice or quinoa and BOOM. You’ve got dinner. You can even add some shredded 2% cheese if you’re feeling wild. Here’s to having a little Mexican fiesta in your mouth TONIGHT! Bon appétit!
Creamy Chicken Fajita Bowl
For the chicken:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced thinly
2 bell peppers, sliced thinly (any color will do!)
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
2 green onions, sliced thinly
1 can of mild Rotel tomatoes, undrained
1 5 oz. container of plain Greek yogurt
2 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped cilantro, optional
For the seasoning:
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground corriander (it is ok to omit this if you don’t have it on hand)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, ground corriander, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Season sliced chicken breast with salt and pepper and add to pan. Cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until almost cooked through.
- Add bell peppers, onions, and seasoning mix to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Cook chicken and veggie mixture for another 3-4 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add Rotel tomatoes, Greek yogurt, and cream cheese to pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in sliced green onions.
- Spoon chicken and veggie mixture over brown rice or quinoa and garnish with chopped cilantro.